September 12, 2009

Life in... the real world?

Dun dun DUNNNNN!

The "real" world. What in the flipping heck is that supposed to mean? Everything before my high school graduation is moot? I didn't exist before 18? My life has been one HUGE staged event and I'm about to become a real sequel to "The Truman Show"?

I beg to differ.

SO they say, in the real world, people aren't always nice, life isn't fair, and bad things happen to good people. They say that no one cares if you succeed or not, and no one is going to push you.

I don't know what high schools "they" went to, but maybe it's time to re-evaluate this whole real world deal.

In high school, kids will devote time and effort to ruining eachother's lives and they will stop at nothing. Now, I don't know if it's just me, but between having someone try desperately to make sure I cry myself to sleep every night, or feel complete apathy towards me... I think I might opt for the latter.
If you've got no one who cares if you succeed in life, you have a sad existence dear friends. I hope that each and every person has SOMEONE to care if they succeed or at least who would save them if they ran off to join a cult. We all need someone to care if we sink or swim, whether it be a parent, friend, significant other, we need someone. ...however...
You shouldn't need someone else to be your motivation, you should be your motivation. You're worth the hard work, so WORK HARD!

So far I must say I'm not feeling like I've missed to much on the whole real world front. This seems pretty legit to me...
OH! life experience you say?
"you're only 18, how do you know anything about life after high school"
well hmm, maybe just because I was in high school doesn't mean I was a mindless conformer for years, walking around with a severe case of tunnel vision.

In a class filled with grade ten students, I have heard words of wisdom on topics like; abortion, assisted suicide, drugs, and world issues, that have been extremely insightful. There are full grown adults in the world who have no idea about half the topics that these young adults were tackling with inspiring passion.

I don't know where this idea that to experience life you had to be a certain age came from, but I completely and wholeheartedly believe that there is nothing more real than the experiences of high school. The extremes, are extreme, and sometimes these kids are dealing with things that people out there in the "real world" couldn't possibly understand.

I am so sick and SO TIRED of the idea that life starts AFTER graduation. Our lives are happpening now. All of my experiences have shaped who I am and I should hope that counts for something. As for the real world, who needs it? I'm perfectly happy with the world I'm in and if someone thinks for one second that work or school has anything to do with that, they are sadly mistaken.

On a somewhat lighter note, since this is some sort of world where people need sleep, I'm done ranting.


"In case I don't see you,
good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!"
- The Truman Show

5 comments:

Kenton Larsen said...

Great start on your blog!

Adam Smitzniuk said...

I totally agree with what your saying about life starting after high school. We are not just being born, or finally waking up or something like that, we've been here for a full 18 years, and wow! What an 18 years!
Life isn't about what your going to do, its about what your currently doing, live for the moment, live every day to the limit.

angèle said...

Definately agree with that. There are some people under 18 that are more matured and more life experiences than some 40 year olds.
I hate when people are so surprised with a 16 year old or something does something really amazing. I think the reason why people try to welcome you to the real world is because they realize you're not afraid of it, yet - like they are.
Great post. I like your style.

Anonymous said...

wow im impressed. Its extremely good. I could read it over and over again and never get tired or bored. Thats saying a lot from me. However, I dont have the time but I will be back to read other blogs you come up with. :)

Amber E

Glenda Ollero said...

100% with you on this. I doubt the real world is all that hot anyway.

P.S. I love your writing style, Alexa. I can totally imagine you saying this like we're sitting beside each other. :)

Post a Comment