September 22, 2009

Dear Lil' Wayne, I Hate You.

..But you aren't the only one.

I hate you T-Pain, I hate you Pussycat Dolls, I hate you "Flo Rida".

I am currently a victim of the war on music.
Actually, allow me to be more specific, the war on LYRICS. It is crucial that I say lyrics and not music, because for the most part, there is always a genre of music blossoming, and there are great musicians to be found... LYRICS however, in my opinion, not so common these days.

The top 40 is primarily listened to by youth, so what is it these days with the amount of profanity in songs?!?!? I mean I won't pretend that I don't say a few choice words, but EVERY SECOND WORD is crude, rude, or plain old profane! Not only is this in, say, hip-hop, it's in bubble gum pop music and pretty much everything else you can think of. I mean there's a time and place for it, but do we really need it in every song on the airwaves?


This is why when people ask me, "WHY do you listen to 90's music all the time?!" I simply press play and pass them a headphone.


SURE, I mean music is growing and changing, but since when does that mean that we have to forget about some sort of decency.? at least in the nineties boy bands' lyrics skirted around the fact that they were trying to pick up chicks (with the exception of *NSYNC's Lance Bass). Nowadays, we're straight up refering to women as garden tools..? so much for progress..

I prefer back in the day when B4-4 wanted to "set your spirit free" as opposed to some wannabe gangsta talking about how he's gonna "superman that hoe". what in the world..?

When was the last time anyone listened to a good solid B4-4 song anyways? Girls, when was the last time you listened to a rap song and thought, "wow, he said some really nice things about women!" ..try never. okay MAYBE one time..

But really, my point here I guess is that it's just so wrong that these are the things that little kids are growing up on. I had Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, All Saints,TLC, 98 degrees and *NSYNC, arguably some of the best boy and girl bands ever, with wholesome lyrics, true bubblegum stuff people. Kids now have the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus? We had old Britney, They have new Britney. I feel like this wave of kids is being totally ripped off.

Why is it so wrong for someone to make a wholesome song these days? Are poor grammar, bad pronounciation, and lack of vocabulary signs of a great lyricist? Don't give up though, wit is stil alive and fighting in the mainstream.

I think it's time for a music revolution. They say everything cycles back around again, well, let's bring back the nineties. You might say I'm stuck in the past, but what's so wrong with that? When something gives me cause to look forward, I will, until then I reserve the right to hate lame, derogatory music and miss old pop.

Despite the negative undertones in this post, this was actually rather inspiring to think about. I recently spent a good day looking for old music that I missed or that made me feel good, and deleting stuff I had (simply because it was a popular party song) that I didn't even really like! I am re-inspired to take time out to maintain my music library because it really does affect how I feel daily and it's totally worth taking some time out to clean out your song closet!

here's a dirty song from 2001 from me to you..

6 comments:

Zach Samborski said...

Profanity can sometimes be effective. I know that N.W.A is not everyone's cup of tea, but profanity is one of the reasons why 'Straight Outta Compton' packs such a powerful punch; it is abrasive in the sense that the lyrics are confrontational, scary even.

angèle said...

I think NSync and BSB were kind of dirty! My mom wouldn't let me listen to the song "If you want it good girl, get yourself a bad boy". I did anyway, and I felt like a rebel. Same for "When 2 become 1" by the Spice Girls. I think older lyrics were just way more hidden and encrypted in the sexual references.

Miss Stacia Franz said...

oh no haha Alexa, have you listened to B44 "get down" ? "Set your spirt free is only one line"

"if you get down on me, I'll get down on you..." the chorus i think thats pretty intense...lol although i used to sing right along when this song came on... I wonder if our elementary school teachers had a good laugh at the stuff we would walk around singing not having a clue what it meant.
ps did you know that the twins from B44 are now called "Ryan Dan" they put out that number one single "The face"....


anyways this is an amazing post none the less.... I went back and busted out Spice World and I am watching it right now... "GIRL POWER" :)

Alexa said...

Oh I know right!! The old stuff was way dirty lmao. I just miss the way that they phrased things so that as little children we could sing along and have no idea haha. Speaking of which its a good thing B4-4 used the word get.. and not go. Spice world was an epic film adventure, great choice! Haha Angele I definitely applaud your mom for picking up the bsb thing, they loved to use the word sexual, and they were! haha, I miss how things used to be phrased then, a little less graphic!

Danielle Conolly said...

I shuddered when I saw O-Town on your blog, Alexa!

Stacia, I haven't listened to anything by "RyanDan" but I guess that explains why their CD cover is so bland and neutral and formal - trying to cover up the past!

Adam Smitzniuk said...

Sadly, my friends and I were discussing 90's pop just last week, and all agreed that it is about time B4-4 made a come-back in main-stream music.

I remember the good old days, listening to Hot 103 on a sunday night to the hot 9 at 9, hoping 'Go Go' would make it to the top, taking Creed's 'With Arms Wide Open' spot as number one. We didn't need yet another Nickelback knock-off.

Post a Comment