October 8, 2009

Mary-Kate and Ashley were on to something..

There's just something about a good movie.

You know, the ones that take you away on a complete vacation of the mind. Those movies with those nice scenic shots lasting a good ten seconds that make you feel like you've transported to another place. I LIVE for those movies.

But what is it about these movies that really gets us hooked?

Is it the soft yellow tinge of lighting cast over the scene to enhance a sunny setting?Is it the light hearted music that plays in the background trying to spirit us away?
I think the truth is that sometimes, we really just want an escape from our lives.

A movie is like a cheap, although short, escape from reality.
You're offered another life, you can imagine you're someone else, living in different circumstances, experiencing things that you might never really get to experience. AND you get to choose your own adventure... feeling romantic girls? How about Under the Tuscan Sun? The Holiday? you can choose what you want to feel almost down to the last detail.

Now this isn't to say that you have to hate your life to enjoy a good movie, it's just that sometimes, we need the thrill of an action movie, or we need the excitement of watching someone race against time.

I remember watching the Olsen twins travel the world, and how it left me feeling like I'd been on vacation. It's inspiring watching a good movie that makes you feel a little something for life. Sometimes, we all need a little getaway.

I think I'm going to go watch Passport to Paris.

3 comments:

Kenton Larsen said...

I cannot believe the longevity of the twins' career. Neither can Bob Saget!

Melanie Lee Lockhart, APR said...

I remember howling at a review Scott Feschuk wrote in the National Post a number of years ago, in which he discussed a show (or a movie, I don't remember now) that allowed you to remove your brain and put it in a big bowl beside you on the couch, give it a pat and say "not gonna need you for the next two hours, little buddy!"

Sometimes that kind of show is exactly what the doctor ordered!

Lilleybug said...

I love the Olsen Twins. Even though MK is kind of messed up now and Ashley, well I don't really know what's going on with her as of late, but man, did I ever BAWL like a baby when Full House went off the air. I literally cried so hard when I saw that Breaker High was on at the time Danny Tanner was supposed to be teaching me life lessons. HOW RUDE!

I plan to go on vacation this Thursday while watching Whip It! Drew Barrymore's directorial debut. And then next month, of course, New Moon. Yes, I love me some vampires!

Post a Comment