February 13, 2010

Facebook vs Twitter

I don't know if that's even a fair comparison.

I mean there's a HUGE difference between the two.

FACEBOOK

An online network of QUADRILLIONS of people with profiles, photo albums, chat, written notes, wall to write on, message sending capabilities, fan pages, groups, events, and thousands of applications to customize your Facebook experience to they way YOU want it.

Facebook is a place where you can find almost everyone under the age of 21 these days. This is how the youth of today talk to eachother, make friends, keep friends, stay in touch and just generally entertain themselves.

My mom, however, uses Facebook to get back in touch with her old grammar school friends who still live in London, and my aunts use it to say happy birthday to me when they can't make it in town.

Facebook connects people in a way that feels so personal you don't realize the distances that sometimes seperate them.

TWITTER

Twitter is a long list of updates from a list of people you should choose to follow. People can choose to share links and links to pictures.
the max length of each "tweet" is only 140 characters.

Now all of this closely resembles what is called the status update on Facebook.

Twitter is also largely used by people to follow people like celebrities and news sources, which to me seems to be the only real use for Twitter, as a news source.

I personally have found that the only people who enjoy Twitter are people with iPhones or some sort of way to stay permanently in contact with Twitter, or else, what's the point?

I think in this round of Facebook v. Twitter, Facebook wins.
Until Twitter has the amount of users that Facebook has amassed, it really won't be competition.

1 comments:

Melanie Lee Lockhart, APR said...

Well, I have to say that I use Twitter more than Facebook, and I don't have an iPhone (yet!); I think it all depends on what kind of information you're looking for. Which is why it's important to think about what kind of messages you're looking to promote when you decide how to use each one in PR!

Post a Comment